Monday, December 12, 2011
Pay it Forward Monday – Week 3: Giving Back
These days it’s not difficult to find ways to give back to the community. Thanks to Generation Y’ers, it’s finally considered cool – even expected – for people to participate in some sort of community service. And who am I to not support being cool?
Youth groups, school organizations, church groups, companies, families, and individuals often join together to help ease a burden for someone struggling. The Holidays provide a perfect excuse to volunteer as we reflect on our own blessings from the past year. For this week’s Pay it Forward Monday, I have compiled a “top 10” list of suggested ways you can get out and help others during the holiday season. Hopefully you’ll find a new activity to consider adding to your family’s holiday traditions.
1. Be a bell ringer for the Salvation Army
2. Volunteer to serve a meal at Soul’s Harbor
3. Donate or volunteer for First United Methodist’s Operation Toy
4. Organize a Christmas caroling group for your neighborhood
5. Donate items to the Homes of Hope Thrift Store
6. Prepare a meal for residents at the Ronald McDonald House
7. Become an “Empire Elf”
8. Donate a new toy – or several new toys – to SW Missouri’s Toys for Tots
9. Buy a t-shirt for Restore Joplin
10. Buy a “We love Uriah” t-shirt – proceeds from the sale of these shirts will go toward medical expenses incurred by the Nevins family (who lost their home in the tornado) as their son undergoes treatment for leukemia
Have fun with giving – the best part is knowing that maybe your actions have helped make someone else’s world a little better!